Saturday, March 21, 2009

A Little Bit About Me

I guess the best place to start is by giving you a bit of background about who I am, politically.

I have, until recently, considered myself to be a Republican. With the hijacking of the Republican party by the neo-conservative and evangelical movements I find that that label no longer fits. These days I think of myself as more of a fiscal conservative and a social moderate. A paleo-conservative, if you will, in the vein of Teddy Roosevelt. In fact, the more I look into Roosevelt the more similarities I see between our political ideologies.

We'll get into these topics in depth later, but basically I believe that what you do in the privacy of your home is no one's business but yours, as long as your activities do not infringe on other people's rights. I also believe that no one has a right to the money I earn except me. I believe that we have only one environment and whether we are causing global warming or not, if we have the ability and technology to do things in a cleaner fashion we are stupid not to do so. Finally, I believe that the separation of Church and State is one of the greatest ideas anyone has ever had in the history of the world and should be defended at all cost.

So that is an extremely brief synopsis of where I come from. What about you?

3 comments:

  1. I feel akin to the fiscal conservative and more liberal social views. I struggle with the views on taxes. I want to avoid paying much of my earnings away to taxes that may not be invested in the way I see fit, however, there are some elements that I think we have a civic duty to pay for, such as roads, bridges, police, fire... but when it comes to education and medical, its harder to feel that your money is being spent in the right way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kip, you fit the libertarian mold, if I were to label you, not that I would normally do something like that. so come on over to my side of the playground.

    The downside of claiming that label, of course, is that the pure laissez-faire capitalists and the anarchists get lumped into the libertarian camp as well, which is bogus. Its the myth that the other 2 parties have supported, because it scares the Dep/Rep sheep that the 2-party power mongers wish to control.

    By the way, if you don't already, I suggest reading Reason magazine. I subscribe for the articles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've long considered myself a Libertarian. However, I am not sure I 100% agree with the Libertarian Party platform (and I just couldn't stomach voting for Bob Barr), same as I don't agree with 100% of either the Democrat's or the Republican's platforms.

    ReplyDelete